8 Hydrating Summer Drinks You Can Make At Home To Stay Cool
Summer is upon us! And we know it can get hot as hell.
We may take keeping our bodies hydrated for granted but the danger is real.
What happens when we don’t compensate for the loss of water through drinking? Well, symptoms may vary from dry skin, acne and yellow urine to diarrhea, stomach ache, headache, dizziness, fluctuations in blood pressure, and muscle cramps. The body begins to develop imbalances, and in severe cases, the condition could even become fatal.
Luckily, there are ways to stay cool that goes beyond the lemonade stand. Yes!
This old staple is a summertime fave. Lemon water or a glass of good old nimbu paani is probably one of the most hydrating drinks there is, it contains Vitamin C consuming lemon juice will increase iron content in the body, and instantly energize when you are in a lethargic mood.
- It helps your body secrete digestive juices, preventing indigestion.
- The acidic nature of lemon helps remove dirt stuck to your teeth. It also promotes fresh breath, making it ideal for oral hygiene.
- It boosts your energy levels, without increasing the calorific content.
- It helps replenish those essential salts lost through perspiration.
- Unripe lemon is vata and kapha pacifying, while ripe ones are pitta and kapha-pacifying foods.
A recent discovery, and on a hot day does the job. Plus it’s good for the body. Pear juice is rich in electrolytes such as potassium, calcium, magnesium and sodium.
My Caribbean people know, you know about this! Coconut water is low in calories, rich in potassium and super energizing.
Cucumber juice contains 90% water and are one of the most hydrating vegetables. It also cleanses the body by evacuating poisonous and old waste material.
- It is a rich source of Vitamins K and C, as well as other macro minerals such as iron, phosphorus, and magnesium.
- It is made up of 95 per cent water and hence, prevents dehydration.
- It helps cleanse your system by flushing out toxins from the body.
- It relieves constipation, acting as a natural laxative.
- It is a pitta-pacifying drink.
It might be confusing to understand how teas help hydrate the body. They are natural and caffeine-free, so you don’t have to worry. They not only help in keeping you hydrated by also calm your tired nerves and relax your mind.
Aloe Water Or Aloe Vera Juice
Packed with antioxidants and has some powerful regenerative properties. It helps in detoxifying your gut, while giving you radiant and glowing skin.
Adding fruits in water helps in diluting the sugar content and increasing its hydrating powers. Fruits contain Vitamin E and C which improves body metabolism.
Chia seeds can absorb up to 10 times their weight in water and they swell within minutes which makes for a lovely hydrating drink and a natural energy drink. It can save the body from sunstroke
Blend watermelon. Every bit contains 90% water and watermelon juice has a way of reaching every hot part of your body, instantly cooling you – physically and mentally.
- It helps relieve fatigue, and stress.
- It is also good for relieving headache on a scorching hot summer day.
- Since watermelon is rich in fiber, it is a good digestion aid. It helps flush out toxins.